Friday, April 3, 2015

The end is near

And then there was 1 month left in the program. I can't believe it! The first thing that comes to mind when I think about March is the shelf! I was really stressed a majority of this month studying for the NBME and boy was I happy to be done. We finished up MedPharm with psychiatric drugs, which I didn't expect to enjoy but I did. It was really interesting to learn about the pathology behind anxiety, mood, and neurological disorders. It was even more interesting to see that they are generally treated with the same drugs (CNS dampening drugs). All in all I really enjoyed MedPHarm and I can't wait to apply all the knowledge I gained in real life.

On the volunteer front, Aubrey and I participated in an edible school yard fundraiser called Edible Evening! It featured music and food from local New Orleans restaurant and we got to eat for free! T was such a fun experience and I would highly recommend anyone sticking around next year to attend.  It's 40 dollars for unlimited food and drinks and its for a great cause. Aubrey and I also finished up with the 5th graders at ESY and for their finale all they chose to make crawfish pizza and ice cream! It was a blast learning with the kids how to toss out pizza doughs like Italians do (spoiler alert: it's really hard!)

Over at St. Anna's, Aubrey and I continue to work with the kids in nutrition class. We have made healthy chicken fried rice, a variety of smoothies (with veggies hidden in it) and healthy tacos using lettuce instead of wraps! My heart filled with joy when one of the girls we teach remembered what saturated fat was. It is really great to see that what we are doing is having an impact on these kids and helping them to recognize why something might be unhealthy rather than just knowing "it's bad for you".

That's all for now!

Total hours in March: 20 hrs
Total for semester: 46.5 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment